Both oily and dry, combination skin has a fragile balance that is difficult to maintain. Each area of your face has its own problems and requires different care. You must use the right beauty products to preserve it. What is the best care routine for combination skin? We explain everything about this type of skin.
WHAT IS COMBINATION SKIN?
Combination skin is the most common skin type, but also the most difficult to identify. Some people think they have oily skin, others think they have dry skin. In the case of combination skin, it is a combination of both. In general, the T-zone (chin, forehead and nose) has excess sebum, while the cheeks and temples are dry because they lack moisture. This complicates the care routine for combination skin, as it has different needs.
Moreover, there is not only one type of combination skin, but several:
- The one with an oily tendency, with a T-zone whose pores are dilated, with pimples, or blackheads. The cheeks are dry but not dehydrated.
- The one with a dry tendency: if the T-zone is oily, it does not shine and is not very prone to pimples. On the other hand, the cheeks are dehydrated.
- The sensitive one: in addition to the above characteristics, it shows redness, tightness and warm-up. These are sources of discomfort that require the use of a reinforced care product for combination skin.
WHAT FACTORS AFFECT THIS SKIN TYPE?
Many women between the ages of 20 and 35 have combination skin. This is most often due to the hormonal upheavals that are common during this period. Various factors can explain it, such as genetics, hormones, stress, pollution, tobacco which disrupts the hormonal balance and clogs the pores. Also, a diet that is too sweet, too rich in saturated fatty acids and too industrial can contribute to aggravate the problems of combination skin.
Combination skin can also be caused by hormonal contraceptives, which unbalance the skin by influencing the different hormone levels in the body.
A poor skin care routine on combination skin is also an aggravating factor. Unsuitable skin care products, such as products that are too aggressive, too numerous or contain the wrong oils can affect the condition of the skin. As a general rule, mixed skin care should not be occlusive, so it is recommended not to use skin care products containing (chemical) mineral oils and silicones.
A good skin care routine for combination skin can be difficult to develop. This is especially true as combination skin changes with the seasons. Indeed, it tends to be more oily during the summer. It is therefore necessary to reduce anti-blemish care during the winter, but moisturize your skin well morning and evening. During the summer, it is the opposite, the care for combination skin must be fluid and light, and the anti-imperfections care should only be applied in the evening.
WHAT CLEANSING ROUTINE FOR COMBINATION SKIN?
Providing the right care for combination skin is essential to help it maintain its balance. Any combination skin care routine should, like all skin types, start with a triple cleansing. A well-cleansed skin is better oxygenated, and can therefore benefit from the maximum benefits of the active ingredients, especially those in your combination skin cream.
This triple cleansing should be performed every evening on your combination skin. To do so, you will proceed as follows:
- The application of the purifying make-upremover oil which will emulsify make-up, sebum, greasy substances... present on the surface of the skin. It is perfect for eliminating shine without drying out your skin, and is therefore essential to your combination skin care routine.
- The application of the fresh cleansing jelly that cleanses your combination skin deeply. You can use it with a Konjac sponge to make a light exfoliation and remove all impurities and dead skin.
- The application of flower and fruit water, enriched with rose water, which eliminates lime residues while soothing your skin.
- Our triple cleansing is a good organic routine for combination skin, because all the products we offer at Akane are entirely natural.
As part of your combination skin routine, also incorporate a morning skin cleansing with a foaming gel to remove excess sebum produced during the night.